This blog is my attempt to reconnect with the world of chemistry. I have a PhD in Inorganic Chemistry and make a living doing research for a large company in Michigan. As times have changed, that company has changed its focus and I no longer have as much chance to do the basic, fundamental research which I most enjoy. Through this blog, I am hoping to recapture the magic which I felt during my graduate (and undergraduate) days in college. Expect topics on chemistry and alchemy along with some non-chemistry related items which I think might be interesting.

"The chymists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost insane impulse to seek their pleasure among smoke and vapour, soot and flame, poisons and poverty; yet among all these evils I seem to live so sweetly that may I die if I would change places with the Persian King."

Johann Joachim Becher (phlogistonist)
Acta Laboratorii Chymica Monacensis, seu Physica Subterranea, (1669).

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Elementeo, A Chemical Game

Chemists, get your geek on. A 14 year old has created a chemistry based trading card game. From the website:

The game is based on a 121-card deck of chemical elements, compounds and catalysts. Every card has an explanation of the element or compound's uses and chemical properties. For example, the Oxygen card can rust neighboring metal cards and the Copper Conductor card can shock any metals. The oxidation state of an element is used as its attack power, and its physical state determines its movement on the board. The goal of the game is to reduce the opponents electrons to zero through strategic use of each card's chemical properties.

Not sure I'll ever play this, but it sure sounds interesting. Looking through the Elementeo website, I'm having a little trouble working out the relationships between the materials and their listed oxidation states, but it still sounds cool.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Chemist Ken,

chk the following link out too. Thought it would interest you reading ur blog on elementeo.

www.chemistry.iitd.ac.in/chemcos-index.htm

Its an initiative of undergrad students to reach out to the world. If you have any relevant comments kindly mail chemcos.iitd@gmail.com, with your identity. Thanks

Anupam

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read this article. Thanks the author for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.