This blog is my attempt to reconnect with the world of chemistry. I have a PhD in Inorganic Chemistry and make a living doing research for a large company in Michigan. As times have changed, that company has changed its focus and I no longer have as much chance to do the basic, fundamental research which I most enjoy. Through this blog, I am hoping to recapture the magic which I felt during my graduate (and undergraduate) days in college. Expect topics on chemistry and alchemy along with some non-chemistry related items which I think might be interesting.

"The chymists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost insane impulse to seek their pleasure among smoke and vapour, soot and flame, poisons and poverty; yet among all these evils I seem to live so sweetly that may I die if I would change places with the Persian King."

Johann Joachim Becher (phlogistonist)
Acta Laboratorii Chymica Monacensis, seu Physica Subterranea, (1669).

Friday, June 6, 2008

Better Living Through Chemistry

Wouldn't you just know it. I'm finally back to blogging on a regular schedule and then I come down with a severe head cold. I'm getting better, but I just came into work long enough to move my boxes from my temporary cubicle to my new permanent desk. And I'm now exhausted. As soon as the customer meeting is finished, I'm outta here.

Here's a note I received from a coworker who is lucky enough to have a pool.

"Still not feeling well? Maybe, you can sweat it out this weekend. Opened the pool yesterday to see the Black Lagoon. Already put 8 gallons of Chorine in. Hit it with every chemical known to man. Still going to take a couple of days before I risk catching the plague."

It makes me proud that chemistry is such a boon to mankind. Sniff...Sniff.. Sorry, I've got to go now, there's something in my eye. Yeah, that's it...

No comments: