This blog is my attempt to reconnect with the world of chemistry. I have a PhD in Inorganic Chemistry and make a living doing research for a large company in Michigan. As times have changed, that company has changed its focus and I no longer have as much chance to do the basic, fundamental research which I most enjoy. Through this blog, I am hoping to recapture the magic which I felt during my graduate (and undergraduate) days in college. Expect topics on chemistry and alchemy along with some non-chemistry related items which I think might be interesting.

"The chymists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost insane impulse to seek their pleasure among smoke and vapour, soot and flame, poisons and poverty; yet among all these evils I seem to live so sweetly that may I die if I would change places with the Persian King."

Johann Joachim Becher (phlogistonist)
Acta Laboratorii Chymica Monacensis, seu Physica Subterranea, (1669).

Friday, June 13, 2008

Still Without Power, But Blogging Anyway!

What can I say? Life without electricity is teh suck. We've been without power for 5 days now and DTE (Detroit Energy) still has no idea when they will be getting around to our block. I suppose I shouldn't complain too much since we have a gas powered generator, but I'm getting tired buying 5-7 gallons of gas everyday to keep it running. About every 6 hours I have to shut down the computer, disconnect the generator from our circuits, shut down the generator, refill the gas tank, start it back up, reconnect it to our circuits, unplug/replug the router (since the cable modem box most likely has a new IP address), restart the computer, and start the 6 hour timer. Amazingly, the novelty has disappeared -- just like my patience. Fortunately, after the first 2 days, the temperatures have dropped to the point where it's comfortable in the evening.

Both of the kids had their last half-day of school today and we celebrated by buying gasoline going to see the new Indiana Jones movie. I won't bother reviewing it in any detail, but it was your classic over-the-top escapist movie. It kept us entertained and the theatre was air conditioned, so it was a success by any definition.

After much procrastination, I've finally started adding links to other chemistry blogs I read on a regular basis. You probably already know about most of them, but I've been remiss in not listing them before. Happy Friday!

1 comment:

Gluten Free Recipes said...

Great reading your bloog post