This blog is my attempt to reconnect with the world of chemistry. I have a PhD in Inorganic Chemistry and make a living doing research for a large company in Michigan. As times have changed, that company has changed its focus and I no longer have as much chance to do the basic, fundamental research which I most enjoy. Through this blog, I am hoping to recapture the magic which I felt during my graduate (and undergraduate) days in college. Expect topics on chemistry and alchemy along with some non-chemistry related items which I think might be interesting.

"The chymists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost insane impulse to seek their pleasure among smoke and vapour, soot and flame, poisons and poverty; yet among all these evils I seem to live so sweetly that may I die if I would change places with the Persian King."

Johann Joachim Becher (phlogistonist)
Acta Laboratorii Chymica Monacensis, seu Physica Subterranea, (1669).

Thursday, October 9, 2008

A New Beginning

When I started this blog back in January, one of my reasons for doing so was to compensate for the lack of chemistry in my current job. Well, this will soon not be a problem since, as of December 1st, I will no longer be employed at my current job. The severance package is fairly generous, especially considering the financial condition of the company, so I'll be all right in the near term. But I'm not necessarily looking forward to the prospect of finding another job with similar pay at my current location. Life sure is interesting.

The headcount reduction was pretty severe, and a lot of good people were let go. In our group, it came down to a choice between myself and another guy, and we were both fighting over the same position. In its original incarnation, that spot was tailor-made for my skills and experience, but for reasons I'll probably never know, that position was redefined at the last minute and the other guy was chosen, much to the surprise of the rest of the group.

In any case, I should now have more time to devote to this blog. And if anyone is looking for an inorganic chemist in the general Detroit area, be sure to let me know.

Chemist Ken

6 comments:

Ψ*Ψ said...

Wow, that's awful. Good luck with the search...here's hoping you find something that allows you more time at the bench. :)

Chemgeek said...

Sorry to hear that Ken. I wish you the best of luck in your search. I love the blog, but I'd prefer you not have so much free time to write it.

Good luck.

Liberal Arts Chemist said...

Man, I hated to hear your news even thought you gave us all a sense that something was coming. That is hard for you and your family and I hope your situation changes for the better soon.

You can always join us on the Dark Side and become a faculty member ...

Katie Collette said...

Bummer... I hope you find another job that you will enjoy even more than this last.

The Chemist said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope it's as temporary a state as possible.

Anonymous said...

I went through the same thing 7 years ago. The redefinition was due to the other person having a champion who was a very high manager.

Good luck in the search. Be expansive in what you look for. Reinvent yourself and do not just focus on what you most recently did. There are at least a hundred tips more for the experienced chemist that are different than for someone just starting out.