This blog is my attempt to reconnect with the world of chemistry. I have a PhD in Inorganic Chemistry and make a living doing research for a large company in Michigan. As times have changed, that company has changed its focus and I no longer have as much chance to do the basic, fundamental research which I most enjoy. Through this blog, I am hoping to recapture the magic which I felt during my graduate (and undergraduate) days in college. Expect topics on chemistry and alchemy along with some non-chemistry related items which I think might be interesting.

"The chymists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost insane impulse to seek their pleasure among smoke and vapour, soot and flame, poisons and poverty; yet among all these evils I seem to live so sweetly that may I die if I would change places with the Persian King."

Johann Joachim Becher (phlogistonist)
Acta Laboratorii Chymica Monacensis, seu Physica Subterranea, (1669).

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The First of Many Apologies

I would like to apologize for my lack of posting the last two weeks. My goal is to post 4-5 times a week, but lately I’ve had so many demands on my time that there simply isn’t enough left over for blogging. Back in the winter, when the kids were going to bed earlier and there wasn’t much else to do in the evening, it was easier to post on a regular basis. Now the kids have soccer, we’re doing some interior painting, and I have several projects which are sucking up all my available time. It’s not like I don’t have a backlog of things I want to post about, so I am going to make a better effort to post in a timely manner.

One of those projects which are sucking up my time is gardening. Regular readers of this blog will know that I am obsessed with colors and for that reason; I plant lots of flowers each year -- enough to drive my wife crazy. In the same way that wine connoisseurs look down upon most white wine drinkers, most “real” gardeners would consider me a novice, since I am only interested in maximizing the amount of color I can squeeze into a fixed parcel of land. “Real” gardeners worry about things like the shape and color of the foliage, the number of pastel colors, and proper color combinations. These things mean nothing to me. I judge the success of my garden by the number of traffic accidents in front of my house due to the intense color emanating from my yard. I don’t care how many awards a plant has won, if it’s not producing loads of bright colored flowers it’s useless to me and will quickly get thrown into the garbage.

I’m also not big on maintaining the garden, either. After the initial preparation, planting, fertilizing, and mulching – I’m done. I am a strong proponent of the survival-of-the-fittest school of thought. If a weed manages to prosper in my garden and it’s not blocking my view of the colors, I say “live and let live.” Unfortunately, my wife does have a running feud with weeds and takes their attempt to eke out an existence as a personal insult. As a result, I do have to spend some time monitoring her and making sure she doesn’t take out a patch of flowers in her zeal to destroy a single weed.

Anyway, I’m in the preparation and planning stage right now, so I’m going to have to work harder in order to keep this blog going for the next month.

2 comments:

Ψ*Ψ said...

Lack of posting?! In the early days of CBC I found that 2-4 posts/week was generally enough to hold the attention of most readers. (Now that we're more or less established, we slack off...but that's another story.) If you have a backlog of things to write about, I'm jealous.
And yay for bright colors! I sense a kinship of sorts there. :)

Chemist Ken said...

Glad to hear you enjoy bright colors (although I already knew that!). Definitely a kinship there.

I've been so busy in the evenings lately, I didn't even notice this post until today!