This blog is my attempt to reconnect with the world of chemistry. I have a PhD in Inorganic Chemistry and make a living doing research for a large company in Michigan. As times have changed, that company has changed its focus and I no longer have as much chance to do the basic, fundamental research which I most enjoy. Through this blog, I am hoping to recapture the magic which I felt during my graduate (and undergraduate) days in college. Expect topics on chemistry and alchemy along with some non-chemistry related items which I think might be interesting.

"The chymists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost insane impulse to seek their pleasure among smoke and vapour, soot and flame, poisons and poverty; yet among all these evils I seem to live so sweetly that may I die if I would change places with the Persian King."

Johann Joachim Becher (phlogistonist)
Acta Laboratorii Chymica Monacensis, seu Physica Subterranea, (1669).

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Beginning

This blog is dedicated to my pursuit of all things chemical and alchemical. I have a PhD in Inorganic chemistry and have enjoyed chemistry ever since I was given my first chemistry set some time back in grade school. I make a living doing research for a large company, but as times have changed, that company has begun to turn away from doing the basic, fundamental research which I most enjoy. This blog is an attempt to recapture the magic which I felt during my graduate (and undergraduate) days in college. I plan on discussing interesting topics in chemistry and alchemy (how can one get any more basic than alchemy?) as well as chronicling my attempts at performing experiments at home. Yes, I said "at home". To help fulfill my need to do basic experiments again -- actually touching real chemicals and glassware -- I have begun setting up a primitive lab in my basement and hope to find out just how much success one can have with chemistry using only simple techniques. The experiments I plan to do will cover both interesting chemical phenomena and explorations into the ancient works of the alchemists. This blog will also include other non-chemistry related bits that I think would be of interest to others.

Ken

No comments: