This blog is my attempt to reconnect with the world of chemistry. I have a PhD in Inorganic Chemistry and make a living doing research for a large company in Michigan. As times have changed, that company has changed its focus and I no longer have as much chance to do the basic, fundamental research which I most enjoy. Through this blog, I am hoping to recapture the magic which I felt during my graduate (and undergraduate) days in college. Expect topics on chemistry and alchemy along with some non-chemistry related items which I think might be interesting.

"The chymists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost insane impulse to seek their pleasure among smoke and vapour, soot and flame, poisons and poverty; yet among all these evils I seem to live so sweetly that may I die if I would change places with the Persian King."

Johann Joachim Becher (phlogistonist)
Acta Laboratorii Chymica Monacensis, seu Physica Subterranea, (1669).

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Donut Powered Solar Cells

I came across the following video this weekend. Apparently powdered donuts are an important constituent in the drive to harness the power of the sun. Yes, nano-chemists will do anything for attention. And yes, magnetic stirrers DO rule!



So the powdered sugar in donuts can contain up to 1% TiO2? I guess organic chemistry always benefits from the addition of some inorganic chemicals.

This video is one of the entries in the ACS Nanotation Video contest. If you want to see more, click here.


EDIT: I now see that this video was already posted over at the Chemistry Blog earlier last week. Not sure how I missed it, but this demonstrates the importance of keeping up with the literature when writing about current events.

2 comments:

liver cells said...

I like this post called "Donut Powered Solar Cells", is very interesting, I would like get more information about cells! thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Great post! I love the idea of having nano power cells. I'd like to share that here in Northern California, solar panels are slowly taking over the sources of each house's energy source. The solar install, Chico, CA for example allows us to find alternative sources that is not just cheaper but also environment friendly. I hope you all the best for your invention. Goodluck!